Sweet and salty combine in this nutrient-packed salad. Light but filling, this Fennel Salad with Oranges, Olives and Dried Figs would be great for lunch or as a side salad with dinner. Enjoy!
Fennel Salad with Oranges, Olives and Dried Figs
1 small head organic butter (Boston) lettuce, cleaned and spun dry
1 medium-sized bulb organic fennel, sliced paper thin (a mandolin works best.)
2 organic navel oranges, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
About 15 oil-cured or Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
5 or 6 organic dried figs, cut into small pieces
1 – 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon organic lemon juice, plus more to taste if you like
1/2 cup blanched, slivered almonds, lightly toasted (optional)
A small piece of hard cheese (Parmigiano-Reggiano, Pecorino, Asiago), shaved into thin slices with a vegetable peeler (optional)
- Wash and dry the lettuce, then tear it into bite-sized pieces into a large salad bowl.
- Add the fennel, oranges, olives, and figs, and toss.
- Drizzle the salad with the olive oil, and toss until everything is lightly but thoroughly coated.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, if you like, and toss again.
- Refrigerate until serving (but not longer than about 1 hour).
- Just before serving drizzle in about 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and sprinkle in — or top with —the almonds and cheese shavings, if you like. Toss quickly but thoroughly, and serve right away.
Courtesy of Kashi.com